Skip to content

Translation of documents and notarizations – help!

You may have to get input from someone having dealt with Japanese documents. But first you should check whether the country-specific requirements for Japan give more precise guidance.

Roughly the guideline for most countries is “whatever is standard in that country for translated documents.” Sometimes the Embassy may have statements about what is needed (e.g. embassy may say a Japanese birth certificate needs to be accompanied by certified notarised translation). Usually the rule/guideline is mirrored, i.e. what would you need for a foreign-language document in Japan. (Note: leaving aside the issue of apostilles and embassy / country confirmations, which I think Canada rarely requires)

For many countries, the ‘standard’ is a certified translation + notarial confirmation. (The notary’s statement may just be a variation on “this translator tells me it’s a true and faithful translation of this document which is also a true copy”). Notarisation more important for official documents (“true copy of a what’s app chat” being perhaps meaningless, depending on country)

If in doubt and you really can’t get it clarified, translation plus notarisation better than just translation even if accompanied by affidavit. (May cost a bit more) Notarisation just being a legal form in this case of “this translator really did sign this affidavit and really does claim to be a translator”)

Source link

Questions? Let's Chat
Customer Support
Need Help? Chat with us on Whatsapp